Feline Focus

Feline Focus
My latest puma, July 2016

Carra

Carra
Beloved companion to Sarah, Nov 2015

Window To The Soul

Window To The Soul
Watercolour Horse, June 2015

Sleeping Beauties

Sleeping Beauties
Watercolour Lionesses, Nov 2012

QUOTES QUOTA

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Groucho Marx




Snow Stalker

Snow Stalker
Another snow leopard - my latest watercolour offering - July 2013

06 March 2017

LITERARY INSPIRATION #5

BOOK - THE HORSE AND HIS BOY by C S Lewis


“Draw near, Aravis my daughter.  See!  My paws are velveted.  You will not be torn this time.”
“This time, sir?” said Aravis.
“It was I who wounded you,” said Aslan.  “I am the only lion you met in all your journeyings.  Do you know why I tore you?”
“No, sir.”
“The scratches on your back, tear for tear, throb for throb, blood for blood, were equal to the stripes laid on the back of your stepmother’s slave because of the drugged sleep you cast upon her.  You needed to know what it felt like.”
“Yes, sir.  Please…”
“Ask on, my dear,” said Aslan.
“Will any more harm come to her by what I did?”
“Child,” said the Lion, “I am telling you your story, not hers.  No one is told any story but their own.”

This, along with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, is my favourite Narnia book.  And for someone like me who frequently worries about the rest of the world, and gets overwhelmed by all of the stories of injustice, persecution, inequality, wrongdoing, etc when I misguidedly venture out into that world (via the glimpses I get on my computer, when I go wandering the web), I find it comforting to be reminded that I can only really know my own story, and that I’m not expected to take responsibility for anyone else’s.

I was in the middle of worrying about the state of the world (as I frequently do), and whether it’s okay to be happy when it appears that there’s so much misery out there, when this quote popped into my head.  So it was a relief to re-read it, and be reminded that God is in charge, not me, nor anyone else on this earth.  And S/He/It doesn’t expect me to ‘sort out’ the problems of the world, just work on my own little corner.

As to the first part of the quote, I guess you could interpret it as an example of karma - what goes around comes around.  Each action we take produces consequences, whether negative or positive, obvious or subtle.  It’s just a universal law of nature, and is not the evidence of a punishing God (an idea which I’ve struggled to be rid of for a long time).    

Or, to put it another way, “Do unto others as you would have them do to you.” 


Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
An experiment in watercolour and gouache

Quotes Quota

"Do you believe in Magic?" asked Colin.

"That I do, lad," she answered. "I never knowed it by that name, but what does th' name matter? I warrant they call it a different name i' France an' a different one i' Germany. Th' same thing as set th' seeds swellin' an' th' sun shinin' made thee well lad an' it's th' Good Thing. It isn't like us poor fools as think it matters if us is called out of our names. Th' Big Good Thing doesn't stop to worrit, bless thee. It goes on makin' worlds by th' million - worlds like us. Never thee stop believin' in th' Big Good Thing an' knowin' th' world's full of it - an call it what tha' likes. Eh! lad, lad - what's names to th' Joy Maker."

From 'The Secret Garden', by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Love

Love
Copied from photograph of the same name by Roberto Dutesco

Quotes Quota

"There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way."
The Dalai Lama

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."

Malcolm X

On The Prowl

On The Prowl
Watercolour tiger

Quotes Quota

"What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step."

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind."

C S Lewis